When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me, Lord." I am a believer that God created each one of us with a unique talent, therefore, use it well to serve Him.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Must Read for Gypsy Owner

When was the last time I cried about crafting? Well,  I think it was in March when I found out that our HHG shipper/guardian lost a total of 4 huge boxes full of designer paper, cardstock and my CTMH clear stamps.  But let's not get into that.  The other night, I was working on a project and was using my Cricut Imagine.  I was hoping that I could now use my Gypsy with Imagine. Alas, my Imagine machine couldn't even recognized my Gpysy. I thought maybe there was an update that I haven't done.  But before I resort to that I tried inserting one of my original cart and one Imagine Cartridge. Surprised, surprised, my Imagine could only recognize one cartridge at a time. I kept on turning my Imagine off and on to no avail. The I started reading in the net and I didn't know that the next hours will be a nightmare.

Normally, every 3rd Thursday of the month, Provo Craft releases a Gypsy new cartridge update and a fix to some minor problem. It was early November when I last updated my Gypsy. A whole bunch of cartridges came out recently, so I don't have a choice but to update.
Before I continue babbling, I want to warn Gypsy owner like me to, please be very careful when updating your machine.

Here's the first thing I found out. I didn't know that the update from Cricut.com for Gypsy is already "PHASED OUT". Please do not use your old Gypsy Sync software. You need to use CRICUTSYNC, for updates and syncing your Gypsy. If you have the Cricut Imagine, you will need to  update your Gypsy first before your Imagine. And this is  when I started having problems. I followed every single instructions and tutorial to do the updates.   I was successful in syncing my Lite and Winter 2010 cartridges but other cartridges like Paper Lace, Ornamental Iron and Car Decals wouldn't sync.  I tried so many times but everytime I would sync, it would prompt me to the Gypsy Menu and not sync the cartridge.

I started reading again.  I spent hours and hours doing the same thing, trying new things and nothing happens until my Gypsy FREEZES...locked up... hangs.  I thought it died on me!  I was pretty upset. I couldn't turn it off anymore while CricutSync software was telling me that it can detect my Gypsy but the machine was not communicating. I tried everything and I was even crying from exhaustion and frustration. I started doing the updates at 6PM and it was almost 530 in the morning already and I still couldn't figure out what I did wrong.  Keep on telling myself I can't lose my darn Gypsy and I am not going let myself buy a new one.  I am so dependent on that little machine.
Finally, DH came home from work and walk me through it until everything was back to normal.  Yeah, he talked me through it and he's in Europe!

Finally after almost 12 hours of doing this, my Gypsy started syncing all the new carts.   Next job was to update Imagine.  I thought I was done having problems but my machine wouldn't recognize the driver, which came with CRICUTSYNC software.  Again, I was glad I married a techy geak, so even long distance he was able to help me install the driver.  I am telling you this is one of those times that he was extra, extra nice to me.  He was indeed very, very patient and helpful.  How can I ever live this life without him...

You probably thinking that why the heck do we let ourselves suffer like this.  Crafting is supposed to be fun.  Alot of people are probably asking why we even bother updating our GYPSY machine.  Here's a few answer:  Just like any computer machines, it needs an update.  Updating will ensure that your Gypsy Library of Cartridge is up to date with the current ones.  You won't be able to cut your new cart if you don't link or sync your Gypsy.  But how can you sync your Gypsy if you don't update your software.  Did you know that Gypsy machines didn't actually have a "HIDE CONTOUR" button when it first came out?  Yeah, it doesn't have.  You actually got it from one of the recent updates of GYPSY SYNC.  It was one of the my favorite and I think one of the best functions of  Gypsy.  It is a must have functions specially if you like incorporating stamping with your Cricut images.

Here are the things that you should do to ensure you did the Gypsy update right and not have to suffer the way I did.
1.) Plug the charger to your Gypsy.  The updates will take awhile and you wouldn't like to run out of juice while in the middle of doing that.
2.) Go to your START up button, SETTINGS then CONTROL PANEL, then click the icon ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.  Go through the list and delete all your old GYPSY SYNC softwares and updates. Exit
3.) Click this link, HERE, and download the CRICUTSYNC.  Don't close the windows, because it will give you the complete instructions on how you are going to install and update your GYPSY as well as your Imagine machine. Important, RESTART your PC after installing, this will ensure that all the updates will take effect correctly.
4.) If you have an old version of CRICUTSYNC, please do a REPLACE VERSION then proceed and again RESTART once done installing.
5.) Once installed, go back to START up button, SETTINGS then CONTROL PANEL, then SECURITY CENTER.  Turn off your FIREWALL and your ANTIVIRUS software.  I know that this sounds creepy but it will lessen your possible update problem, trust me!  Just try not to browse the net or download emails until you can restore your security system.  At the SECURITY CENTER, click WINDOWS FIREWALL.  A new windows will pop out, turn off your firewall.  On the top, you will see a tab that says EXCEPTIONS an that the bottom, click ADD PROGRAM and add CRICUTSYNC. Exit.
6.) Plug your Gypsy to your PC and start updating.  If a message is prompt that you need the latest ADOBE AIR, while running the CRICUTSYNC then you need to install it or do an update on the latest version.  Criccutsyncwill not let you proceed with the Gypsy syncing if you don't have the latest ADOBE AIR. Then once done, you can start syncing your cartridges to your Gypsy.
7.) Also, make sure you have the latest firmware and update versions of the machines.  Here's a quick reference of what your machine needs:

GYPSY/IMAGINE CRICUTSYNC : 2.0.3.0 version
GYPSY MACHINE: 1.4 (0206-0207) version
IMAGINE:  1.01 (0096:0014:0239:202A) version

IF PROBLEMS OCCUR:
1.)  Just like before, syncing your carts and your Gypsy should be quick.  If CricutSync is taking awhile to sync and was telling you on screen "CONNECTING TO DEVICE" continually, then it means your having problems.  If you encounter this, on the top left corner of the CricutSync, click HELP then do troubleshooting. Try syncing again.
2.)  Please know that firewalls and antivirus will limit CricutSync to download the software completely so you have to turn it off.  Since mine wasn't working even if my antivirus was off, DH told me to UNINSTALL my McAffee antivirus.  You can uninstall programs under Control Panel or better yet call your Antivirus porvider and ask them to help you add CRICUTSYNC software as one of the exceptions.  
3.) If still nothing is working, UNINSTALL CricutSync from the Control Panel.  Make sure you did all the Operating System (mine was, WINDOWS XP Service Pack 3)and ADOBE AIR updates.  If you haven't done that, please do so and restart.  Restarting your PC will ensure that software, hardware and registration updates will load completely and correctly.  I suggest using Windows Internet Explorer as your browser and download the CRICUTSYNC software again from IE.  Forget about other browser.
4.)  If while syncing the latest carts like Car Decals takes you back to the Welcome Screen, then you need to REINTSALL cartridge data through the troubleshooter of CricutSync.
5.) One other thing that caused the update problem is the USB port.  If the update is still giving you problems, you need to try using USB port 2.0.  My laptop machine, which I basically use for blogging and check emails is about 4 year old and it doesn't have a USB port 2.0.  DH and I just realized that my machine is turning antique, which couldn't cope up with the techno trend of my crafting world.
6) USB port 2.0 is the most recent one and it's really fast.
7.) DO the UNINSTALLING/INSTALLING several times.  A lot of people did this including me.
8.)  If in case, you encounter the same probs I have, meaning, your Gypsy hangs.  Hold the top left silver button and the silver round circle button of your Gypsy.  Hold and push them at the same time and count 1-30.  If it doesn't work, try different button combination.  If that doesn't work either, then you have to reset your Gypsy.  Here's how to do it:

Take your Gypsy stylus and unscrew the top of it.  Once unscrew, it will reveal a needle like thing.  Please be very careful with that.  If your Gypsy machine has a silicon sleeve, take it out. You will see in the back of the Gypsy machine some holes.  One is for the vent and the other was a tiny round hole.  Use the needle like thing from your Gypsy stylus and push it in the tiny round hole, which you can find at the back of your Gypsy.  If you did it right, it would reset your machine and just turn it back on.  Mine took several times before I did it right.  But it works like miracle!

9.) If you do the Gypsy update correctly, then you should have everything in your machine including the 5 RECENT FREE CARTS.

10.) For those Imagine owner, please don't forget to update your machine after syncing your Gypsy.  Just plug your machine and run CRICUTSYNC software.  Once you're done updating and syncing your machine, it will prompt you to install Cricut Imagine driver.  Like with the Gypsy, mine couldn't proceed and couldn't detect the driver.  DH told me to try my other USB port and alas, it worked!  That should tell you that the USB port issue was not a joke.

11.) Last but not the least, if you turned off or uninstall your antivirus software, please make sure to install it back again.  Then, turn on your firewall and antivurus. 

I hope this tips and trick would help you.  If you need further help, please refer to the Cricut Community Beta site.  You can read so many helpful things there and you can even post your concern.  There are nice helpful ladies there and even PC tech support reps were there to assists.  Goodluck on your updates. 

To note, CRICUTSYNC is a software you will use to update your Gypsy and your Imagine.  It doesn't matter if you only have a GYPSY, you will need this.  It's probably frustrating to get all sorts of problems when we know we spent so much money with PC products.  But they are working pretty hard to fix the problems and we just have to be patient. 

BTW, I'm now an official Cricut Circle Member....  Yehey!  And guess what, with all the problems I had recently with the updates, DH will buy me a MAC computer as a Christmas present.  Love you Babe!

Shoot me a message if you need help on the updates.  Not promising anything but I'll be more than willing to lend a helping hand. Boy, I am way behind my projects now and my craft table is still a big mess.  I decided to post this as I do not wish you my friends to encounter the same problems I had when I did the updates.  Really hope this helps...

3 comments:

4kids4 said...

Wow, Claire, I'm sorry you had to go thru all that...crafting isn't supposed to be that painful!! It was VERY kind of you to post all the hints and instructions...I'm sure it wasn't a quick process!

~Sharon C.

Kelgentry66 said...

I get my imagine thursday(snail mail)I'm scared to even use it..I have only had my gypsy since Christmas and I do have the Cricutsync. How do I know if it's the right one?

Unknown said...

Well, it's 2018, and I'm wondering if there is any reason to update my Gypsy. I have a Cricut Expression. I'm thinking that the Gypsy is so obsolete that I should switch to Cricut Craft Room at Cricut.com
. I believe the Design Studio is for newer machines. I just discovered your blog! You are so informative and creative! Any help would be appreciated.